Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Ode to Oak City

I love Oak City. Of course at first I had a hard time adjusting, the closest store is 15 miles away and they close at 10:00 and your lucky if the local gas pump is up and running. Everyone is either a neighbor or someone your related to. There is often the smell of a rotting deer close by who happened to die of "garden disease". And you don't have much privacy due to the fact that it is a small town. Yet as I've lived here I've not only come to appreciate these once annoying facts but I have come to love my little town very much. A place that people still live simply, no Keeping up with the "Jones" . A place that the stores still close on Sunday. You wave at everyone who passes even if you don't know who they are. If you have a need it's filled and more so, by the kindness of everyone around you. (One thing I love is that when someone has extras from their garden they just drop it outside the post office for others to have access to. Seems like such a simple act but it's one of those characteristic things about Oak City)
So here is my Ode to Oak City, a beautiful well kept little secret, my Home


The canyon is just up the road from us, so every Sunday we go for a drive up the canyon. Rozi loves to be on the look out for deer. Boone enjoys seeing the river.
This is the view coming in to town


The sunsets here are some of the most amazing I have seen! Every evening there is a beautiful sky to watch.



The sand dunes are also close by. It's so fun to be able to choose either canyon or dunes and know that they are just a minute away. Nick knows the layout of the dunes like the back of his hand, but with the wind constantly changing the shape of the dunes I have a hard time knowing my way around.


Oak City: one of the few places you can have a pet crow (named Eskimo) Rozi loved that bird, and Eskimo would just follow her everywhere.



I love the patriotism here. Every year before Memorial day everyone in town gathers at the cemetery to clean it. We rake all the pine needles, trim around headstones, pull weeds. Then on Memorial day there is a free breakfast of sourdough pancakes (the best in the world!) and then we go to the cemetery for a program to honor those who gave their lives for our freedom.
This is the main highway into Oak City. =)

1 comment:

{leah} said...

I love your small town!!! Hopefully soon we'll come and visit.

love you and your cute family!!!